"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mo'o hihia on a Hoaka Moon







When I was a little girl my Aunty Lily showed me how to notice clouds. I have never stopped noticing. The sky and the clouds changed in a matter of minutes yesterday before sunset. Hoaka Moon.

Mo'o. lizard, reptile of any kind, dragon, serpent; water spirit
Mo'o hihia. series of difficulties, troubles
- Hawaiian Dictionary, Pukui & Elbert


I noticed the lizard skin, mottled or perhaps breaking apart like the shedding of skin too small to contain the mo'o growing. As I watched I searched for the 'ike papalua the insight. The loss and grief, the difficulties and challenges. E ho mai i ka 'ike papalua. On the shoulders and backbone of my ancestors, and the gift given me as a little girl in Kuli'ou'ou Valley. The ao mo'o ... the clouds of the water spirit remind me to notice and listen with my whole body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!