"Hawaiian Fisherman" Wood Block Print by Charles W Bartlett, 1919

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

'OLE MOON GIFT: Teachability

Retreat

Sometimes I forget how the seasons flipflop on the Earth.  I don't think about how water goes down the drain in my neck of the woods, but then I read this line, "In Crosswicks the bath water runs out clockwise; in Australia, widdershins."  (I am, at this very moment, writing with a copy of a book balanced on my left thigh... not a common thing -- reading a book for me in recent years, as I reassembled my life with MCS.  The book was a thriftbook treasure for 35 cents, and it said to me, "Maybe, now."  I listened and took it home with me.  The title of the book A Circle of Quiet written by one of my all-time favorite writers Madeleine L'Engle.)  Today, the 'Ole Kukahi is a sweet mix of tender time and quiet stretches.  I have had time with Madeleine, and JOTS my favorite cat friend.  An email thank-you cheered me to know a small gift had reached its mark.  The sun is spending a lot of time with me and all the others on Whidbey today.  I am sockless and I wore a bright, deep pink Camelia in my hair today.  A supper of lamb tidbits with yam and oranges and steamed broccoli is waiting to be cooked up, later.  JOTS is asleep across the Quonset bathed in sunshine and shadows.  And from the retreat of the 'ole moons a spritely story found its way into my writing fingertips.  Stories are like that, they just need to be told!  Click here, and read the comments for a peek at that story.  What great company, and contentment. 

Review

The blessings of emptiness is the subtitle for this workhop, and to record these small treats of experience are indeed the stuff of moon blessings.  In addition to the 'ole moons, Mercury stopped its retrograde movement and (apears) to moving forward again.  Communication is often effected when Mercury backs up.  I have had to be more careful of what I think and say during the weeks.  Miscommunication is likely, and that has been the case for this old gal. 

Let me unfold the story:  The passion that fuels the creation and sharing of Count on the Moon was a god-thing.  A directive.  I did hear that call, and I put things in motion.  The Aries Moon has fired my actions and fueled me with new beliefs and energy.  Boy is it being wonderful!  The other night Pete was looking at the phases of the anahulu, counting and measuring things the way he does.  From our vantage point in the forest it's not always possible to SEE the moon.  Unlike the position of the Islands of Hawai'i where the horizon is broad and the view of Mahina unobstructed, it is easy to be 'tricked' into believing without seeing ... and believing something different than what it really is.  Pete was seeing a difference in the phases.  At first, I didn't like the implication:  was I wrong?  I left him to his investigation, and from the vardo steps, I realized the subtle yet real possibility that I have been counting wrong. 

Easter evening I had a lovely long chat with my son (the man who helped put together this moon calendar).  It was a winding that covered things wide and deep, shallow and silly.  I asked him late in the conversation, "Is the New Moon MUKU or HILO?"  "MUKU."  He said.  OMG.  He then condensed a version of the original kuka (discourse) that went into the creation of the Hui Mauli Ola Moon Calendar.  In essence, it was very much like the discourse that the kupuna went through when deciding how to determine when a day begins.  Does it begin when the sun rises and sets?  Does it begin when the moon rises and sets?  Add to that the myth-making of Mauli (the moon before Muku) who sometimes steals Muku ... leaving the night without a Muku and you have the point:  VARIATION AND INTERPRETATION.  Where do you start?  What do you use as your marker? 

OUTCOME:  "New Moon" on a Gregorian Calendar is not "New Moon" on a Hawaiian Moon Calendar.  Auwe!  A mistake has been made, and it was mine.  I interpreted the 30 moon calendar and mixed Gregorian with Hawaiian.  The subtle second-hand of time moon time, a phrase the Pete came up with this weekend, was an example that my son says, "You practice being in the moment."  A second is gone before you notice.  Another one passes quickly forward.  So sorry for the criss-crossed interpretation.  CJ, my friend, your query of the 'ole days earlier on was probably a 'yellow' light I sped through while counting on the moon.  I am humbled by the error, and keep practicing being teachable.  Adjustments need to be made as we complete the final anahula.

Rest

We had a rainy Monday yesterday, and all three of us JOTS, Pete and I enjoyed lots of quiet restoring rest.  Remembering that the Southern Hemisphere is now in a season of harvest here's a link to a harvest from the land where bath water goes down widdershins and April is Autumn.  Raven Moon is a gal with gloriously creative expression filling her life.  Where we in the just-spring Pacific Northwest have bees just arriving to spread apple pollen, Raven Moon has preserved fig jam and other treats in glass jars wrapped under colorful cloth caps.

http://ravenmoonmagic.blogspot.com/2011/04/harvest-moon-goddess.html


What Moon Gifts visited or revisted during the three moons of the 'Ole?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and questions are welcome ... jump in!